4th of July Virtual Party Ideas
Just because you can't head out and celebrate the 4th of July with friends due to the COVID-19 doesn't mean you can't have a festive one. We can still celebrate America's Independence Day at home and virtually. 2020 hasn't been a great year for our country, but there's no reason not to celebrate America.
Getting together personally is still a no-no, but we can still fire up the grill in our backyard with the best food recipes, good shindig, watch fireworks from a distance and connect with your besties through Zoom! Here are the best 4th of July virtual party ideas that will surely make our celebrations a blast.
Get crafty with the whole family
Get your kids to help you with the 4th of July party decorations. Make some homemade party decorations like the red-blue-white-striped themed decor. You can check out DIY patriotic crafts from Pinterest.
Prepare a picnic menu
Prepare a 4th of July picnic menu for the family that even your children will love. You can also share these menus with your besties and do a conference call while cooking your food. Check out some simple 4th of July recipes:
Corn Pups Recipe
Your kids will surely be delighted with these mini, carnival-style treats from Women's Day kitchen.
Total prep time: 25 minutes
Yields: 30 servings
- Oil, for frying
- 1/2 c. yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 c. flour
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- 1/4 c. milk
- 1/4 c. beer
- 1 large egg
- 1 (12-oz.) package cocktail francs (about 30)
- Small skewers or lollipop sticks, for serving
- Mustard and ketchup, for serving
How to prepare it:
- In a small saucepan, add enough oil to come 2" up the sides and heat to 350 degrees F. On a rimmed baking sheet, place a cooling rack
- In a medium bowl, whip together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and cayenne.
- In a 1-cup measuring cup, whip together the milk, beer, and egg. Add to the dry ingredients and beat to combine. Into the measuring cup, transfer the batter back for easier dipping.
- Working in batches (6 francs per batch), insert a skewer about 1⁄2" to 1⁄4" into one end of a franc and dip in the batter, twirling the skewer to thoroughly coat the franc. Transfer to the oil, using a fork to slide it off the skewer. Cook until golden brown for 2-3 minutes. Transfer to the prepared rack. Repeat the process with the remaining francs and batter.
- If desired, stick a small skewer or lollipop stick into the end of each cooked franc. Serve with mustard and ketchup, if desired.
Patriotic Patties Recipe
Feast on these barbecue-inspired burgers with a kick by Women's Day Kitchen.
Total prep time: 20 minutes
Yields: 12 servings
- 3 tbsp. paprika
- 1 tbsp. light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. instant espresso
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- Kosher salt
- 3 3/4 lb. ground beef
- 12 Hamburger buns
- Worcestershire-Glazed Onions
- Cheese, lettuce, pickles, and tomatoes
- Citrusy Slaw with Peppers and Scallions
- Pickle and Parsley Relish
How to prepare it:
- Heat grill to medium-high.
- In a bowl, add the paprika, sugar, espresso, oregano, and 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Mildly form the beef into 12 balls. Flatten each ball into a 3/4-inch-thick patty. Using your thumb, make a shallow 1 1/2-inch-wide indent at the top of each patty. Sprinkle the patties with the red-eye spice mixture.
- Lightly oil the grill. Place the patties on the grill, indent-side facing up, and cook until the burgers release easily from the grill for 3-4 minutes. Flip and cook 3 to 4 minutes more for medium. (Don't overwork the meat — this can result in a tough, dry burger.)
- If desired, grill the buns until lightly toasted. Serve the burgers on the buns with the Worcestershire-glazed onions and other toppings, as desired.
Easy Ice Cream Sandwiches Recipe
This dessert by Women's Day Kitchen is easy to prepare. You just need to spoon your fave ice cream between 2 cookies, put them in a cupcake liner to avoid drips and serve! Try these combos:
- Chocolate cookie + mint chocolate chip ice cream
- Shortbread + strawberry ice cream
- Gingersnaps + coconut sorbet
Get sparklers for the kids
Independence Day wouldn't be complete without sparkles of course! Light up the night and your kids' faces by letting them write their names in the air using sparklers.
Virtual Visits to American Historical Sites and Museums
Let your entire family enjoy this Holiday by taking them to a virtual American tour. You can access historical sites and museums online. Delve deeper into our country's history and visit sites such as George Washington's Mount Vernon, NASA, the Statue of Liberty, the Smithsonian National Museum of American History, and many more.
Host a Patriotic-themed movie watch party
Since you can't celebrate with your friends, you can host a Patriotic-themed movie watch party on Netflix. You can share patriotic family-friendly movies like Independence Day and more!
Prepare some outdoor games
Let the game on, whether it's a corn hole match or a water balloon fight, Independence Day is all about outdoor games and fun.
Of course, Fireworks!
Although we can't go out and several 4th of July fireworks displays have been canceled, you can still watch televised firework displays or watch online. Arrange a conference call with your besties, tune in, and prepare your wine glass so you can all cheer on together.
Best wine charms for your glasses
Serve your beverages/wine/beer/water in charmed glasses with patriotic-themed wine charms. Patriotic Red White & Blue Magnetic Glass Charms is a fun collection of fireworks, stars, and stripes wine charms for patriotic holidays and will surely look great on your wine glasses, beer mugs and even Mason jars of lemonade!
Holidays this year are going to be different because of the COVID-19 pandemic, but it doesn't mean we’re not allowed to celebrate. You can still throw a festive 4th of July party for your family and virtually with friends. These fun party ideas will keep your family and virtual guests entertained.
Cheers! Happy 4th of July!
Stay home and keep safe.